Friday 10 June 2011

Time in Belarus coming to an end.

So for those of you who know me you'll know that I'm now happily married and now the time is coming where I'll be leaving Belarus and going to a different country to teach English or maybe even start a long term career.

It's been an interesting time here and a lot has happened while I've been here. It's strange how people seem to react to situations I hoped I'd never be in the middle of though I'd rather not go into detail what they are because of my own fear of suppression. People in Belarus seem quite resigned to the fact that things here will never be perfect. It's amazing how regardless of what the news says about finiacial crisis etc. how everything essentially remains the same and the only thing that I notice is the price of things increasing on a daily basis and the mood of people staying gloomy even though it is summer. It's a terrible shame about the events here that have unwound and I really hope that things get better here in Minsk in some way for the population that are struggling on after a 50% pay reduction.

As for my wedding it was magical. I was always a bit cynical about weddings but mine seemed to be brilliant for me with all my friends surrounding me and many people wishing us well and offering their support for our marriage. Thanks so much to everyone who came and thanks to everyone else for your messages of support and for wishing us well. I really hope we are able to keep supporting each other and get through the issues we have.
The current ones for us are where we go and how we avoid Nika having to work in a remote village in Belarus. This would be a terrible situation to be in as it would mean I'd either have to stay in the UK and find a job and wire money to support her or go with her and support her with a menial job (street sweeper or worse) in a small village. Obviously this is the last option though I would be willing to do it if it was the only solution for us to stay together. I'm sure people throughout history have gone through much worse to support and protect their partner.

Anyway I hope all is well with everyone else. We'll soon be setting up a photo website on picassa so that everyone can enjoy the photos online we took at the wedding. Once we get all the official photos as well we'll be able to show them.

2 comments:

  1. Have patience, you'll find a way around your current work problems.
    Hope Nika did well with her final results, give her my love.
    Dil xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben!
    It was really interesting time for me and other students. I took a camera on the last lesson to take some group photos but... Ok, let's wait for picasa.

    P.S. I've got 72/100. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete